Is your air conditioner not cooling your home? It doesn’t take long for the nice spring sun to turn scorching. If your air conditioner is slowing down, think about an upgrade right now instead of later when it’s already sweltering. If your AC was working harder or taking longer to cool your home last year, consider an upgrade. Or even if your older system is still cooling well, it may be using more energy than necessary. A newer, more efficient model could save you money on your cooling costs this summer.
Knowing When It’s Time to Upgrade
If your current AC situation falls under one of these categories, it’s time to look at upgrading:
- Model is 10 or more years old
- Increasing energy bills
- Uneven cooling throughout the house
- You’ve had to call for repairs more than once in the past year
- You find out it needs a repair that costs about half of what a new system would cost
Before You Buy
If you have leaks, installing a new system isn’t the smartest route. Before you consider upgrading, seal up leaks in your home. If you’re finding your air conditioner not cooling, it could be due to insulation, which is a cheaper fix than a new system. If there are other problems, you may still need an upgrade.
An energy assessment is a great way to find efficiency leaks while getting tips on other ways to save energy. We offer this service at Sullivan Heating & Cooling.
After that’s out of the way, you’ll be ready to look at your options. According to energy.gov, it’s smart to replace the entire system if you’re upgrading from an older one. But sometimes you may be able to upgrade the outside unit alone.
When shopping for an energy efficient model, look for seasonal energy efficiency ratio (SEER) ratings of 13 or better. Older systems are typically only 6 SEER, so you’ll be getting much more efficiency.
Other useful features to watch for include:
- Thermal expansion valve and a high-temperature rating (EER) greater than 11.6 for hotter climates
- Variable speed air handler
- Quiet operation
- Fan-only switch, allowing you to use the system as a ventilator at night without running the air conditioning
- Filter check light
- Automatic-delay fan switch, which turns off the fan a few minutes after the compressor shuts off
Ask Sullivan Heating & Cooling for Help in Choosing the Right A/C for Your Home
It’s frustrating to have an air conditioner not cooling your home, but we can help! The experts at Sullivan Heating & Cooling can help you look at the options and choose the ones that best suit your needs and budget. Call us at (360) 405-0723, or use our online contact form to set up a free air conditioning consultation.